Any form of sexual activity that occurs without the consent of a person being dominated in some way by another is a crime that meets the sexual violence definition in Utah, according to Utah law. For example, some forms of sexual violence include rape, sexual assault, forcible sodomy, and numerous others. Crimes of sexual violence are not motivated by sexual attraction. These violent sex crimes are to exert power over victims to control them. If you are charged with a crime of sexual violence in Utah, you need to contact a sex crime lawyer with a track record of success in this area of state law as soon as possible.
Sexual Violence Statistics in the U.S.
Crimes of sexual violence happen to people of all genders, ages, races, religions, and economic classes. These staggering statistics reflect how widespread the problem is, even sexual violence against men, which is an under-examined area of criminal research. Further, these statistics are believed to be the result of very low reporting rates, indicating that the rates of violent sex crimes are actually much higher. That’s because so many victims feel too fearful or humiliated to report the crime.
- 9 out of 10 victims know the person who sexually assaults them.
- 1 out of 6 males become sexual assault victims. The crime is believed to be unreported.
- 1 out of 3 people in the gay community are victims of sexual violence.
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be a victim of sexual assault by age 18.
- 20 rapes or attempted rapes happen every hour in the United States.
- Most sexual assaults involve no physical force, and victims have no visible injuries.
Prosecuting Crimes of Sexual Violence
There are many classes of violent sex crimes under state sexual violence law. Those include sexual violence against women, men, and children Under Utah Code 78B-7-502, crimes of sexual violence include the following:
- Forcible sexual abuse
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Custodial sexual relations
- Object rape
- Sexual extortion
- Custodial sexual misconduct
- Forcible sodomy
- Distribution of an intimate image
- Human trafficking for forced sexual exploitation
- Aggravated human trafficking for forced sexual exploitation
- Sexual exploitation of a vulnerable adult or a child
Rape is an example of a crime of extreme sexual violence in which the offender dominates the victim by physical force, coercion, or manipulation to accomplish unwanted sexual intercourse. The unwanted penetration might be oral, vaginal, or anal. The most common types of rape are:
- Acquaintance rape: In this type of rape, someone whom the victim knows is the perpetrator. Around 2 out of 3 rape victims from ages 18 to 29 report that they knew the rapist.
- Date rape: This crime is forcing or coercing someone who is in a dating relationship with the rapist to have sex against the person’s will. Date rape drugs or alcohol are frequently used by perpetrators in sexual assaults.
Penalties for Crimes of Sexual Violence in Utah
For First Degree felony conviction of a defendant charged with a crime of sexual violence in the state of Utah, the maximum sentence is life in prison. For lesser sentences, for example, a 6-year prison sentence for some types of violent sex crime conviction, the person found guilty will still be required to have his or her personal information entered into and maintained year after year on the Utah sex offender registry.
How Your Sex Crime Lawyer Can Help You
A criminal record of conviction for rape or another crime of sexual violence will destroy your reputation. It can also cost you your freedom, financially ruin you, and prevent you from working in your chosen field. It can even disqualify you from living in the neighborhood of your choice and cause you to be prohibited from entering various public and private places.
Your criminal defense lawyer works to protect you from these extreme potential outcomes of your case. Wasatch lawyers have helped many defendants in sex crime cases over the years. We protect our client’s rights throughout the legal process, develop the best strategies for your defense and build the most effective case for your innocence.
Wasatch Sex Crime Defense Attorneys
If you are charged with a violent sex crime, our criminal defense team is here to protect your rights and defend your freedom and reputation. We will provide you with a free, confidential review of your case. We offer military discounts, and we can provide payment arrangements.