Being charged with a crime is a daunting experience, especially when the offense is a sex crime. If you have been charged with a sex crime – regardless of the facts of a case or whether you are actually guilty – it is imperative that you have qualified and experienced legal counsel on your side. The Wasatch Defense Lawyers legal team is dedicated to providing vigorous and effective service to criminal defense clients in Utah. If you are facing sex offense charges and would like to discuss your case, call Wasatch Defense Lawyers to schedule a consultation today at (801) 980-9965.
The Consequences of Sex Offense Convictions in Utah
The punishment for a sex crime conviction in Utah can be severe. Mandatory minimum sentences for serious sex crimes are described in Utah Cod. Ann. § 76-3-406. Under this law, “probation may not be granted, the execution or imposition of sentence may not be suspended, [and] the court may not enter a judgment for a lower category of offense” for the following offenses:
- Child kidnapping;
- Forcible sodomy;
- Forced sexual abuse;
- Aggravated sexual abuse of a child;
- Aggravated sexual assault; and
- Attempt to commit rape of a child.
Even less serious sexual offense convictions can have severe and long-term consequences. The Utah Predatory Offender Registration Law requires individuals who have committed certain sex crimes to register as sex offenders. These crimes include those listed above, as well as lesser crimes, such as criminal sexual predatory conduct, enticing or soliciting a minor to perform sexual acts or prostitution, incest, possessing child pornography, and felony indecent exposure.
If you have been charged with a sexual offense, your career, family, reputation, and freedom may all be at risk. With so much at stake, it is imperative that you mount a vigorous defense. The hardworking and experienced criminal defense attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers can ensure that your procedural and substantive rights are protected. To discuss your case, contact Wasatch Defense Lawyers at (801) 980-9965 today.
Community Pressures in Sexual Offense Prosecutions
It is especially important for defendants to have qualified and experienced legal representation because these types of cases are aggressively prosecuted. Public sentiment and political pressures often weigh against defendants. Judges and prosecutors, who must stand for re-election, strive to appear “tough on crime” when it comes to sex offense cases. Jurors, meanwhile, sometimes have their minds made up about these types of cases before they have even heard the evidence. For these reasons, it is critically important that anyone accused of a sex crime has an experienced attorney that can ensure that they are able to have a fair trial. The attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers fully understand how these dynamics affect sex offense prosecutions in Utah. They help our clients navigate the hidden risks, and file appropriate motions in court to protect our clients’ procedural rights to ensure that they receive a fair trial.
What Wasatch Defense Lawyers Can Do For You
The experienced criminal defense attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers provide thorough and effective defense at every stage of a prosecution. As soon as charges are brought in a case there is important work to be done. From pre-trial investigation to the end of a case, Wasatch Defense Lawyers works tirelessly to ensure that our clients’ rights are protected.
- Investigate the facts of your case to uncover all viable defenses. There are many defenses available in sex offense cases. Wasatch Defense Lawyers can carefully go over the evidence and help you understand what defenses may apply.
- Give you an honest assessment. Every case is different. Wasatch Defense Lawyers understand this and give each case the individualized attention that it deserves. After analyzing the facts and the law, your Wasatch Defense Lawyers attorney can give you an honest and objective assessment of the possible outcomes to your case.
- Gather all necessary evidence. Mounting an effective defense requires the collection of all relevant evidence. Wasatch Defense Lawyers make sure that the prosecution shares all relevant evidence, and helps clients collect our own forensic and eyewitness evidence whenever possible.
- Protect your constitutional and statutory rights. Every person accused of a crime in Utah has rights under the United States Constitution, the Utah Constitution, and under the Utah Code of Criminal Procedure. The attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers have deep knowledge of these laws and can ensure that your rights are protected.
- Present your case in a legally compelling way. Each criminal charge has specific elements that must be proven by the prosecution in order to get a conviction. The attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers know exactly what the prosecution needs to prove depending on the charges brought, and can, therefore, make the best possible arguments on your behalf. The attorneys at Wasatch Defense Lawyers are also fluent in the “language of the law” and can present your case to the court using legally correct terminology.
- Negotiate with the prosecution. In many cases, it is possible to negotiate with the prosecution to have charges reduced or dropped. In other cases, alternative sentencing can be negotiated. Wasatch Defense Lawyers know how to negotiate effectively to get our clients the best possible deal.
- Vigorously represent you in court. When it is necessary to go to trial, Wasatch Defense Lawyers vigorously represents our clients in court. Wasatch Defense Lawyers are experienced litigators that know how to deliver persuasive opening and closing statements, carefully examine witnesses, and ensure that our clients’ substantive and procedural rights are protected throughout the process.
Contact Wasatch Defense Lawyers to Discuss Your Case Today
If you are facing criminal charges, you need qualified and experienced legal counsel on your side. Wasatch Defense Lawyers can help. We are located in Salt Lake City, Utah, and serve clients throughout the State of Utah in both state and federal court. Call to schedule a free confidential consultation at (801) 980-9965 today.